Wednesday, August 31, 2011

more shorts

decided to make another pair of the crazy trunks about 10:30 tonight.
This time for my stout husband.

took my pattern and added a inch to the edges and mucked with the pattern.
cut it and stitched the shape together in about 2 hours.
had to make some pouch adjustments to work with the pattern upsizing, but i think the larger size will work.

todo: do a fitting to mark the waist
hem wiast with elastic or drawstring, hem and roll the leg holes.

woot was quick and looks like it'll be good
tried a new method for getting the pattern to line up better. wasted more fabric but i'm please with the results.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

a diversion

I have had one hell of a frustrating time getting the right angles right (hah) 
so after remarking it 3x i decided i needed a break.

I decided to make my first box shorts.
quick and dirty with lazy seams and no frills.
I whipped it so fast i cut my waistband off and had to make a creative belt to make it work.
will wear this at the GayOA campground this weekend and probably make another better version for me and my husband.

now this fabric. can you believe it was only $2 a yard. i snatched up 5.5 yards just to have on hand
its a poly stretch that was more annoying the spandex
pattern was some old sport boxerbriefs

 the after. we will ignore the lazy added waistband questionable work.

and the pose

what can i say dear reader. they are slopy yet cute. will be wearing them to the pool this weekend.
was a fun project and i look forward to remaking these with time and care

Monday, August 15, 2011

xkilt marks the spot

Oh dear reader what is it about a man in a kilt.

the raw masculinity or just the hot legs who knows. In the end i just want one.
Years ago i bought a Utilikilt at folsom Street fair. wore it for the day while i was working with the bootblacks.
It didn't fit right. In the end I gave it to my ex who wore it better. I should have  learned that nice clothes don't fit me well.
To the present
I have been thinking about a kilt or three for years. some time ago i stumbled on the plans for a contemporary kilt on X Marks the Scott. This Xkilt is made with box pleats and requires about 3.5 yards of duck cloth/cotton/poly twill/ etc.

picked a green drabish duckcloth. not as heavy as i'd like but a good first try.
did something i never do on a project. washed it on hot, dried it on hot, and *gasp* ironed the fabric
well the rapture did not happen from these somewhat professional methods.

spread it out on my work table and started marking and doing the math,
arrrggg! i missed the under-apron measurement in my marking so i will have to start the marking again tomorrow.

I picked chalk pencil today that is my best friend. it reminds me of the old pre-mechanical drafting pencils

working to have this complete this week. assuming that i don't get distracted with another bathing suit